1. That I didn’t go to college right after high school. Taking 20 years to get a college degree sucked. Plus I missed out on the college experience.
2. That my sons live thousands of miles away from me. I really miss them a lot.
3. That I never really said goodbye to my grandmother when she went away to the nursing home when I was 16. I never saw her again after that. And I loved my grandma.
4. That I stopped speaking Italian when I was a child. My grandparents taught me and I spoke it fluently then. Don’t remember any of it now.
5. That I didn’t start writing much, much earlier
6. That I didn’t believe in myself much, much sooner
7. That I started smoking when I was 15
8. That I can’t give more back to my mom after all she’s given me in my life.
9. That I didn’t learn it was okay to say ‘No, I can’t do that, I can’t volunteer, I can’t be there, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t…” a lot earlier in life
10. Dropping out of nursing school
11. Not investing sooner for retirement – if you’re in your 20s, do this NOW!
12. All the cars I bought and traded in every 2-3 years for about a 12 year period. Oy did I lose a ton of money doing that.
13. Moving away from my home city, losing friendships I loved, spending my entire adult life away from my family, robbing my kids of growing up around their cousins and aunts and uncles.
Now having listed all these, I have to say that many of the above I can’t really regret, because all roads lead to here and now, and I wouldn’t change a thing that got me where I am today. I love my life and my husband and would never go back and change the things that brought me to him.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants