Dear Amazon

Dear Amazon.com

I have been a faithful, loyal customer for years. I have sent my readers to you to buy my books. I buy books from you to give away as contest prizes. I buy gift certificates, music downloads, movies, Kindle books…basically, I’ve been your love slave.

To repay my love for you, you have removed the ability of my readers to find and buy my books. In addition, you have stripped the sales rankings and searchability of select fiction and non-fiction gay and lesbian titles, as well as titles for many erotic fiction works from hundreds and possibly thousands of authors. To me this is unacceptable, is censorship in its worst form and is not your job. Your job is to present the products as offered, equally and without restriction of any kind.

Most of us humans are able to choose for ourselves what we want to buy and what we don’t want to buy. There are many books/movies/magazines/whatever on your site that I find offensive to my sensibilities. I don’t buy them. I click away when I see something I don’t like. I don’t make you take it off your site or insist you make it hard/impossible/ridiculous for your customer base to find whatever item I find offensive. And you know why? Because I believe in every human’s fundamental right to choose for themselves.

I’d like to think those who buy from Amazon all have the basic intelligence to do the same. And that you, Amazon, have the decency to say no to censorship in any form.

Thank you.

Contact Amazon Exec office e-mail – ecr@amazon.com or the customer service phone number at 1-800-201-7575.

For links, click here

Dear Author’s post about it here

Booksquare’s post about it here

Smart Bitches post about it here

This entry was posted in Life in Motion. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Dear Amazon

JT Banks says:

Thanks for the heads up about this. I just got my latest amazon order Friday. I guess it’s time to start using another online bookstore

Lakota says:

i’m so steamed over this i can’t see straight. Jaci, can i quote you on the show wed? I’ll be doing my usual FB/blog post on topic beforehand so you’ll see reference before i go on the air.

limecello says:

*sigh* amazon – I’m going to check out the google bomb efforts now

DL Williams says:

I didn’t have any trouble finding your books or anyone elses on Amazon, and I’ve purchased quite a few.

Eden Bradley says:

Much more eloquent than my incredibly pissy letter to them this morning about this, Jaci. I wonder how long before they realize how much they’ll hurt their own sales…?

I don’t get it. What possible motivation do they have to do this? What is their end result? To give business to Barnes & Noble?

I certainly won’t buy from Amazon again.

Shell The Hockeyvampiress says:

What is going on? Did the Amazon get taken over by a FANatical group of Church Ladies? Didn’t they just freak out last week and take all the “tags” from authors names if they reviewed other authors books? I have never ordered from Amazon, here in Canada Chapters if more user friendly and shipping is cheaper=more books can be ordered! LOL Fight the good battle!!!

Elaine says:

I just emailed them letting them know that as a longtime Amazon.com shopper, where 99% of what I buy is books, and 75% of that is adult/erotica/glbt, that until this new policy changes, I have made my last purchase from them.

Ashlynn says:

I can’t believe they did this. Utterly ridiculous! I sent them an email telling them exactly what I thought. Hopefully, enough people will force them to change their minds.
    Ashlynn

Melissa says:

emailed them, Jaci. To say this pisses me off is putting it mildly. I’m a prime member, review for them on Vine, and do my own reviews, and can’t even believe they’d pull a Wal Mart stunt like this. You can buy dildos on Amazon for God’s sake, but you can’t find your or Maya’s or some of Lisa Marie Rice’s books on searches??
    I truly believe it’s customers like us, avid readers, who have built them to what they are. To piss us off in mass is not a smart move~~as I’m sure we’ll all prove if they don’t change their policy quickly.

Donna Fournier says:

Jaci,
    I just ordered 2 of your Books from Amazon today.
    I had no trouble locating the books I wanted.
    I loved your Devlin Dynasty Series. And now I ordered the Storm for all Seasons: Summer Heat(bk1) Ice and Rain(3 &4))

I agree it’s not right to make it difficult to find your books. But I had no trouble, Thankfully. I would have been angry. I like your stories alot.

Dita says:

Ooh, this is bad. This is unacceptable. It explains sudden difficulties searching Amazon, and they have some explaining to do since this is double standard to the max and simply, utterly irrational.