Day 6 of the 12 Days of Demon Island

First off – Happy Birthday to my hubby, Charlie!!! Love you babe. :love: :heart:

Today you get a little taste of Surviving Demon Island.

13 Days until it releases! :fire:

So before we get to the excerpt, here’s my question for the day. Do you like book excerpts? Not like to read anything from the book before you buy it? Do excerpts entice you to buy or do they not matter one way or another? Do you ever take the time to read them on an author’s website or not?

Surviving Demon Island
(c) 2006 by Jaci Burton

“Tough,” she grumbled. She threw a white tank top over the bra, slipped on socks, and jammed her feet into her boots, cursing when she couldn’t quite get the laces to work. What was wrong with her fingers this morning, anyway? She stormed into the bathroom and punished her teeth with the toothbrush, hoping to scour the taste of him from her mouth. Then she yanked out a few thousand hairs with her hairbrush and glared at herself in the mirror while she braided her hair, attempting to remove every remnant of the feel of his hands running through the tendrils last night.

Right. Like anything would erase his touch, his scent, his taste, from her memory banks. He was burned there and he was staying and there wasn’t a damn thing she could do about it.
She was so screwed. Or she hadn’t been screwed, and that was the problem.

Gah! This was why she buried herself in her work and didn’t do men and relationships and feelings.

She stormed out of her bungalow and flew smack into the chest of the one man she wasn’t ready to face yet.

“In a hurry?” he asked, both dark brows lifting over inquisitive gray eyes.

“Hungry,” she mumbled, trying to push past him. He moved in front of her, halting her progress, then looked around them as if he were gauging whether they were alone.

“Hey, Gina. About last night.”

“I’d rather not talk about last night. It was a mistake.” Oh, hell. Why had she just said that? Why didn’t she just drag him inside her bungalow and make him finish what they’d started?

Because it would be so damn easy to get close to him, that’s why. And because she was a total coward.

“You sure about that?”

“About what? About whether it was a mistake or whether I want to talk about it?”

His lips curled upward, and her mind registered that she’d had her mouth on those lips. Tangy with the taste of whisky, full, with just a hint of roughness around the edges where his beard stubble was. He’d be like that inside her, too. Tangy, rough, and oh so perfect. Damn, damn, damn.

“About both, I guess. Either way, I’m sorry we were interrupted.”

So was she. Very sorry. So why couldn’t she say that to him? Instead, she shrugged and wrapped her arms around her middle, trying not to focus on the way he was studying her. “Wasn’t your fault. We just got carried away. Shouldn’t have happened.”

“I don’t think you believe that.”

“I don’t think I want to have this conversation.” Now she did look up at him. “Look, Derek, things could get way too complicated between us, with the game and all. I really don’t think we should start this, no matter how good it—”

She really had to learn to keep her mouth shut.

“No matter how good it could be,” he finished for her. “And you’re probably right. We shouldn’t. But it would have been good. Damn good. Enjoy your breakfast.”

He walked away, leaving her more achy and miserable than before, all because she was too damned afraid to let him in.

40 thoughts on “Day 6 of the 12 Days of Demon Island

Tammy G. says:

Sometimes I read the excerpts & sometimes I don’t. I have bought several books from reading the excerpts. I get myself into trouble wanting to buy so many books. That I have to back off from reading the excerpts for a while, unless it is for a contest.

Amy S. says:

Yes, I love excerpts. Excerpts do help me decide on a book to buy. If I am trying to decide between two book, I always read the excerpt to help me decide which one. Yes, I will visit author’s websites to read their excerpts. Loved the excerpt! :xmascheers:

Jennifer L says:

I love book excerpts and actually DO read them. They have influenced my purchasing decisions greatly. I’ve discovered some wonderful writers and book through excerpts.

Happy Birthday to Charlie :holiday4:

I love reading excerpts!!! Yes they can entice me to buy and I make a habit of reading them on author websites :giggle:

That excerpt was fantastic by the way :clap:

Debbie E says:

I LOVE excerpts! The only thing I don’t like about excerpts is when the book won’t be released for a year. Ughhhhhhhhh!

I love to find a great excerpt and know that the book is already available because I have been known to make a spontaneous purchase then and there. If it’s availabe in the next week or so then I make sure it’s one of the top on the TBB list.

I bet some of my autobuy authors came from reading a great excerpt.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE!!! :whoo: :cheer: :heart:

Debbie E says:

OHH! Jaci, great excerpt and i”m headed to the big city. Wouldn’t it be great if they had a table full of Demon and I could buy it today?

Here’s wishing!
    :Christmas: :Christmas:

Annie says:

I do read excerpts and they do influence me as to whether or not I would buy a book! Excerpts are great!!

Diane says:

Tell Charlie happy birthday.
    The excerpts help me to decide if I definitely want to buy the book or not. Blurbs are good but ecerpts give a better picture of the book.

Diane

Jenn L says:

I always hit the author websites for excerpts of the books I find I may want to buy. It’s a big deciding factor for me especially if the author is new to me. It gives me a real feel for their writing style and what to expect from them as an author. As for my favorite authors, well it gives me a sample to tide me over and tease me about what is to come. While I wait patiently for the release date. *Snort*. Really I have no patience hence why I need excerpts and lots of them.

Jenn

Scooper says:

I don’t always read the excerpts. If it’s a book that I think I’ll want, the excerpt can cinch the deal.

little lamb lost says:

I love excerpts and they more than anything help me with the decision on whether to buy the book or not.

tvaddictgurl says:

Happy Birthday to Charlie!

Yes, I read excerpts. They’re part of my decision process on buying a book. When I go into the store I also do the page 117 test*.

* Page 117 test – Every author thinks that a prospective buyer will pick up a book and read the first few pages to see if it’s something they want to buy so they make those first few pages or the first chapter really enticing. Instead of reading that, read page 117. Does page 117 grab you enough to make you want to read page 118? (I heard this from an author at a writing conference a couple of years ago – I’ve used it pretty faithfully since when buying books and only been disappointed once.)

Dammit, you knew I was gonna run right to my book and check out Page 117, didn’t you?

It’s a REALLY good page. :giggle:

Cherie J says:

Happy Birthday Charlie! I love excerpts! A cover will catch my interest but the excerpts are what will convince me whether or not to buy it.

Joyce says:

If the author is an auto-buy I usually don’t read the excerpt. If it’s a new author I’ll read the excerpt.

Zara says:

Ooh, great excerpt Jaci! And yes, I do love excerpts! They are probably one of the most prevalent reasons that I choose to buy a book. Excerpts give me a feel for the characters, and a taste of what the book is about. I have found a lot of wonderful new or new-to-me authors by reading excerpts on romance websites.

Holiday hugs, Zara :Christmas: :xmascheers:

Annmarie A says:

Happy Birthday Charlie!! Here’s hoping you get lots of pressies!

I read excerpts. I stalk them to be honest. I am an excerpt stalker.

Nicole says:

I like some excerpts, but not others. I’ll read excerpts if they’re short (i.e. not too much longer than this one) and I appreciate them if they show the writing style without giving away too much of the story. I’ve seen a few, although not too many, that seem more like movie trailers: disjointed paragraphs that hit all the most interesting pieces of the plot. Those tend to ruin the story for me. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a book solely on the strength of an excerpt, but if I’m trying to decide then excerpts have helped me choose to buy or not to buy.

Crystal B. says:

Happy birthday to Charlie!
    I do read book excerpts and they do intrique me to buy.

Pamk says:

Happy birthday Charlie. And I love excerpts have led me to some great books

RachaelfromNJ says:

Happy Birthday Charlie!!

If the excerpt is from a favorite author I like to read it on their site ahead of time. I usually try not to read excerpts because I like to read everything in the book and to reread something can be annoying. It’s nice though if you don’t know if you will like the author or not, then you can get a taste for their books. I have gone out to buy books after reading an excerpt.

Lara Rose says:

I love excerpts… when they’re the right excerpt. I think the excerpt needs to tempt and titillate and basically represent the tone and feel of the book as well as hint at the major conflict. I don’t necessarily agree with using the first chapter, and I definitely think that full entire sex scenes will make readers think they’ve seen the good bits, why bother buying the book…

That being said, there have been a number of books I’ve bought because I’ve stumbled across the excerpt in my web travels and it’s pulled me in, whether it be the story or the author’s voice.

Michelle says:

Sometimes I like excerpts sometimes I don’t. That’s sure helpful, I know! :giggle: I read the excerpts that are at the back of books that I like and if I’m looking for a specific author online I will read excerpts. However, lately I read a couple of ebooks that I did not enjoy and when I go to the promo excerpt at the end (for another book, I think by different authors) I skipped it because I was already disappointed and didn’t feel like reading one more word.

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Maureen says:

I usually like book excerpts. I’ve bought books before when I wanted to read the story based on the excerpt.

I enjoy having them available, but impatient twit that I am, I choose not to read them. I can’t handle waiting for the book to be released if I really like the excerpt. And I don’t want to stalk an author for an ARC. (But I will whine for one.)

:boff:

Liz Denler says:

Happy Birthday Charlie
    And I adore excerpts
    It’s usually how I pick my books

:charlie:
    Happy Birthday, Charlie.

Sherry says:

:holiday4: Happy Birthday Charlie!!!

Sometimes I read excerpts to help me decide about books, and I have gone to author’s websites to read excerpts.

What really chaps me is when I buy a book because I liked the excerpt and it was the best part of the book! and that has happened a few times.

I like book excerpts when it’s close to the release time for the book (or if the book is already available). If I read about the book too soon and have to wait for a long time then I get frustrated 🙂 I’m not good at waiting. lol

Karen says:

I enjoyed the excerpt on your book very much. I like to read them before I buy a book to see if I’ll like it. Best wishes for a very happy birthday to Charlie.

Lois says:

I love excerpts but they make more impatient

Teri brown says:

If the blurb is enticing enough, I will read the excerpt. But it has to catch my interest first:)
    Teri

anne says:

:doglick: Yes! I love to read excerpts because it tells a lot about a story. It gives me a peek at the author’s voice and the story, and I can pretty much tell just from that whether or not I want to buy the book. :xmascheers:

Kelly says:

Happy Birthday Charlie!

I read excerpts…but I get frustrated if I read them and the book isn’t out yet cause if the excerpt is really great I want to start the book right then.

Case in point…fabulous SDI excerpt, I want to read it right now but I can’t… 😥

Kelly

My two-cents about SDI are officially posted. :sasmokin:

I quit smoking nine years ago, and when I finished SDI I had the urge for a cig. Good thing I have some self-control.

I don’t generally like to read excerpts because I don’t like to be spoiled. I like to discover a book from beginning to end, and never to jump into the middle.

So sometimes I’ll read first-chapter excerpts, but usually only if they’re at the end of a book I just finished and am sad to be done with.

kim h says:

happy birthday charlie
    love book excerpts :bdance:

Zara says:

I hope Charlie had a Happy Birthday!

I’ll be looking forward to page 117 now Jaci! Sometimes our Books-A-Million puts the new releases out a couple days early. I hope they do with Surviving Demon Island! If I see it early I will let you know.

Hugs, Zara :xmascheers:

Hmm…I rarely read excerpts. I usually go by back cover alone and reviews. There have been a few though that I’ll skim to get a feel for the author’s voice and tone.

KimW says:

A belated Happy Birthday to you Charlie!

I like to read excepts before I buy a book to see if it sounds like something I’ll like. I rarely buy a book without having read at least one. Love the one you posted here!